Monday 18 November 2013

History 12-3/12-2

THURSDAY AT THE START OF THE EARLY DISMISSAL IS THE FASCISM RE-TEST.  YOU WILL HAVE TWO OPTIONS:
1.  RE-DO THE WHOLE TEST
2.  RE-DO THE SOURCE AND PARAGRAPH ONLY

In either case, you must attend a tutorial on Wednesday at the start of early dismissal to complete a pre-write to gain admission to the test.

Today the small class debriefed the last two exercises in DeMarco Chapter 9 and then went on to start the Falk Ex #14 and 15.  I also shared Part One of my Mid-East PPT.  The main thing is that you recognize that in trying to satisfy the Zionists' and the Arabs' national aspirations, the British almost guaranteed future conflict.  Also, we see in the Middle East one of the clearest failures of the Mandate system as colonies became, for the most part, different colonies with new titles.  We'll finish the exercises tomorrow and then get right into the Indian independence movement and the Gandhi phenomenon.  G-Block will be shortened by 30 minutes for CAPP.

The big class started by copying a Depression paragraph pre-write.  Next I planned to debrief DeMarco, Chapter 9 but too few students did the reading so I worked with the few who did while the rest of the class tried to catch up.  I'm unwilling to change my principles on this in favour of using coercion to gain compliance.  You, unfortunately, have been moulded by 12 years of operant conditioning.  I'm not willing to punish folks who don't prepare, and I'm unwilling to give prizes to those who do.  I have to rely on logical consequences to guide people's decisions.  I'm wondering if the situation would change if the option of retests was removed?  Would people feel more motivated to well in the first place?  I don't know.  I do know that for some, just getting credit is enough, and I have to accept that, even if it is soul-destroying for me, the teacher.

Anyway, after DeMarco we watched two short video clips, one on the WPA and one on the CCC.  I then started the Mid East PPT by teaching about the region's geography.  We'll do the two Falk exercises tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment