Wednesday 16 October 2013

B Block: Socials 8-2

Today we talked about different approaches to teaching secondary history.  I indicated that I would use a mix of the "mile-wide, inch-deep" and "inch-wide, mile-deep" styles.  We will start using a very teacher-directed focus and work our way towards giving students more choice.  I hope to engage in the inquiry model as a means to make your learning more authentic.

We created a timeline and I tried to help students grasp what, for example, 500 years means.  For example, what is a generation, and how many of those fit into 500 years?  After we got issued our textbooks from the library, I read the introductory story about the Vikings on pp 3-7.  We'll discuss the answers to the questions next class: there is no homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment